top of page

What are Statutory Approvals?


Statutory approvals refer to the legal consents that need to be obtained prior to carrying out certain works or changes of use. For residential developments, this is usually planning applications required for extensions and conversions (loft/basement/garage). Although statutory approvals include Planning Permission and Building Regulations as standards, they may also include:

  • Advertisement consent

  • Approval of conditions

  • Certificate of established use

  • Certificate of immunity  

  • Conservation area consents

  • Environmental impact assessments

  • Felling or lopping a tree

  • Hazardous substance consent

  • Lawful development certificates

  • Listed building consent

  • Scheduled monument consent

Do I need Planning Permission?

Planning permission is required for all works or changes of use which alter the the external appearance of your property (subject to permitted development rights). The planning process is in place to ensure that the use and development of land and buildings is in the best interest of the local community, as well as the wider public. Some internal alterations may not require planning permission but will require building control approvals.

What needs to be included within a Planning Application?

  • Drawings illustrating existing floor plans and elevations

  • Drawings illustrating the proposed floor plans and elevations

  • Site and block level plans

  • Accurately completed application forms

  • Statutory declarations relating to notices served on land owners

Dependant on the application, they may also require a design and access statement, site surveys, assessments and arborist reports and other statements or details relating to the proposed development. If you would like to instruct one of our building surveyors to take care of all the necessary paperwork and submit your statutory applications for you, contact our Building Surveying department who will be more then happy to help.

bottom of page